With the second open weekend of the season looming, Carter and Matthew discuss the emergence of JoVoni Johnson and Rice Football vs Marshall in Week 10.
Despite only finishing with seven points, the Rice football offense had some sparks against Marshall during their Homecoming weekend. Follow along with the Owls’ current quarterback predicament, a still stingy defense and another busy week on South Main in this week’s episode.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, Give a listen to Episode 16 below.
Episode 16 Notes
- News and notes — Rice Basketball is under way with the women and men opening their season. We touch on that briefly as well as a shout out to the Owls’ undefeated-in-conference-play and national ranked volleyball team who host Western Kentucky on Sunday.
- Marshall Review — The new-look offense sure felt a lot different than previous iterations on the Owls’ efforts on that side of the ball. Juma Otoviano plus JoVoni Johnson was a dangerous combination, unfortunately one which was ended prematurely when Johnson left the game with injury. And of course, shoutouts to a constantly tenacious defense. Saturday featured big days from Antonio Montero, Blaze Alldredge, Naeem Smith and Garrett Grammer.
- The redshirt dilemma — There is a very real scenario where both Johnson and grad transfer quarterback Tom Stewart are healthy for the Owls’ upcoming game against Middle Tennesse. Johnson has one game remaining to preserve his redshirt. Will Rice preserve his eligibility? Or will they do everything they can to win now? What’s the right answer? Carter and Matthew discuss.
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.Become a member and join The Roost. Stay plugged into the latest happenings in Rice Football with practice notes, player interviews and recruiting updates. We are your No. 1 source for Rice Athletics News.
- Rice Football Recruiting: Owls ramping up as Early Signing Period nears
- Rice Football Recruiting: Grad transfer OT Jovaun Woolford commits to Owls
- Rice Football 2019: Owls in the NFL Week 14 Update
- Rice Football Recruiting: JUCO QB TJ McMahon commits to Owls