The 2020 Rice Football season is scheduled to begin in the coming weeks. In this week’s show, the Roost Podcast breaks down the Owls’ offense.
The Extended Offseason steps away from our series of guests to focus on Rice football. This week’s show features a position by position breakdown of the offense. Carter and Matthew talk through the entire offense, focusing on potential breakout players, reasons for concern and what they’re paying attention to on this side of the ball.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, give a listen to our preview of the Rice Football offense on Episode 45.
Episode 45 Notes
- Housekeeping — Practice reports are reserved for Patreon subscribers. Make sure you hit the button and subscribe so you don’t miss what’s happening behind the scene. As always, thanks to all of you who have followed the show on Twitter and left a review on iTunes. It’s quick, but it makes a difference.
- Rice/COVID-19 Updates — Rice football back to regularly scheduled offseason workouts and the university has announced its campus plans for the upcoming fall. As of now, the Owls’ first football game is scheduled to kick off within a month’s time.
- Rice football offense preview — Carter and Matthew walk through each position:
- Wide receiver: Austin Trammell and Brad Rozner are studs. Our picks for the next options behind those two.
- Tight end: Jordan Myers leads the way here and he can do everything, from blocking to pass-catching. Even returning punts.
- Running back: The health of Juma Otoviano is an x-factor for this offense, but newcomers like Khalan Griffin are worth keeping an eye on.
- Quarterback: JoVoni Johnson vs Mike Collins. Collins has the slight edge to win the job, but as long as one man can rise to the top and stay healthy, Rice football should be better off. The talent in the room is as good as its been in the Mike Bloomgren era.
- Offensive line: Mike Bloomgren’s influence has to pay dividends this year. Proven commodities on the left side anchored by Clay Servin and Shea Baker are important pieces.
- Fullbacks: Brendan Suckley has the fulltime job after being thrust into the starters role last year. Plus, Rice signed the No. 1 fullback recruit in the nation … even though he’d never played fullback.
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.Subscribe on Patreon. Stay plugged into the latest happenings in Rice Football with exclusive recruiting updates, practice notes and more. We are your No. 1 source for Rice Athletics News.
- The Roost Podcast | Ep. 45 – 2020 Rice Football Offense Preview
- Rice Athletics: Extended offseason showcase series
- Rice Football: 2020 Preseason roster notes and changes
- Rice Baseball: 2020 Summer Ball August 5 Update