With the second open weekend of the season looming, Carter and Matthew discuss the emergence of JoVoni Johnson and Rice Football vs Marshall in Week 10.
Despite only finishing with seven points, the Rice football offense had some sparks against Marshall during their Homecoming weekend. Follow along with the Owls’ current quarterback predicament, a still stingy defense and another busy week on South Main in this week’s episode.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, Give a listen to Episode 16 below.
Episode 16 Notes
- News and notes — Rice Basketball is under way with the women and men opening their season. We touch on that briefly as well as a shout out to the Owls’ undefeated-in-conference-play and national ranked volleyball team who host Western Kentucky on Sunday.
- Marshall Review — The new-look offense sure felt a lot different than previous iterations on the Owls’ efforts on that side of the ball. Juma Otoviano plus JoVoni Johnson was a dangerous combination, unfortunately one which was ended prematurely when Johnson left the game with injury. And of course, shoutouts to a constantly tenacious defense. Saturday featured big days from Antonio Montero, Blaze Alldredge, Naeem Smith and Garrett Grammer.
- The redshirt dilemma — There is a very real scenario where both Johnson and grad transfer quarterback Tom Stewart are healthy for the Owls’ upcoming game against Middle Tennesse. Johnson has one game remaining to preserve his redshirt. Will Rice preserve his eligibility? Or will they do everything they can to win now? What’s the right answer? Carter and Matthew discuss.
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.Join The Roost. React to stories and news in the forum. Stay plugged into the latest happenings in Rice Football with practice notes recruiting updates and more. We are your No. 1 source for Rice Athletics News.
- The Roost Podcast | Ep. 26 – Rice Owls Voice JP Heath and 2010s Mount Rushmore
- Rice Basketball: Owls ready for next step in 2020 and beyond
- Rice Basketball: Robert Martin finds home as Owls’ sixth man
- Rice Basketball: Young talent the backbone for future success