Rice football came into Saturday as a three-touchdown underdog but walked away winners. More on the Owls’ massive upset win.
It had been a tough year for Rice football. Injuries and postponements had kept this team from any sort of rhythm. When we broke the news that starting quarterback Mike Collins would not play for the Owls against Marshall, things looked to be turning for the worst.
Then the game started and Rice football delivered their most impactful win of the Mike Bloomgren era.
This one was too important to wait until midweek to record. Carter and Matthew breakdown the big moments and key turning points in Rice’s 20-0 win over No. 15 Marshall at Joan C. Edwards Stadium.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, give a listen to Episode 64.
- Housekeeping — Don’t miss this opportunity to subscribe on Patreon. There’s a lot more in store for this football program.
- Rice football upsets Marshall
- JoVoni Johnson starts in place of Mike Collins (injury)
- Defense registers five interceptions. Owls had six in 12 games last season.
- Charlie Mendes draws late pass interference flag on fake punt
- Jake Bailey almost scores a one-handed touchdown grab
- Significance of this win for the Rice football program
- The victory was the first by a Texas school at Marshall in 14 tries.
- Rice defeated a ranked opponent for the first time since a 27-14 win over No. 21 BYU on Nov. 11, 1997 (30 games).
- Rice defeated a ranked opponent on the road for the first time since a 20-7 win at No. 8 Baylor on Oct. 12, 1991 (32 games).
- Rice shut out a ranked opponent for the first time since a 7-0 victory over No. 16 Texas on Oct. 22, 1960.
- Rice shut out a ranked opponent on the road for the first time since defeating No. 18 Florida, 10-0, on Oct. 8, 1960.
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.