The final episode in our three-part 2020 Rice Football season previews, Carter and Matthew discuss the Rice Football special teams and catch up with Jack Fox.
The start of the 2020 Rice Football season has been delayed. Rice will no longer play Lamar on Sept. 26 (Find out more about the schedule and the potential ripple effects of that decision on our Patreon page). But when they do play, podcast listeners will have ample insight on the roster.
This week Carter and Matthew catch up with former Rice punter and current Detroit Lion Jack Fox. He told us about his offseason, what he learned in the punter conclave in Birmingham, Alabama and how he’s approaching the battle for the starting job with the Lions. We also covered the specialists at Rice and what to expect from that unit on the field in 2020.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, give a listen to our preview of the Rice Football offense on Episode 48.
Episode 48 Notes
- Housekeeping — Schedule news and other updates are coming fast and furious. Make sure you hit the button and subscribe on Patreon so you don’t miss what’s happening behind the scenes. As always, thanks to all of you who have followed the show on Twitter and left a review on iTunes. It’s quick, but it makes a difference.
- Rice Football Special Teams Preview
- Punter Charlie Mendes – Unproven, but has done well in preseason and practices. Will have to learn to be consistent in live-game situations, but the ability is there.
- Kicker Collin Riccitelli – Stanford transfer once compared to Joe Burrow. No, he’s not winning the Heisman, but Riccitelli should find success at Rice after sitting behind All-Pac12 honoree Jet Toner.
- Long snapper Cam Riddle – Jack Fox said Phil Steele doesn’t know what he’s talking about if he ranked Riddle lower than No. 1 in C-USA. (Steele had him No. 2)
- NCAA weighing eligibility ruling: Proposition would allow all athletes an extra year of eligibility regardless of how many games they play in the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Jack Fox interview: Jack updated us on…
- What training for an NFL job looks like in the midst of a pandemic, including a gathering of pro punters in Birmingham, Alabama. The punter conclave (or rendevous as Jack called it) helped hone his game to prepare for the fall
- Intricacies of punting that go through his head while he punts that casual observers might never consider
- What he’s learned from Year 1 to Year 2 and his confidence heading into another competition
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.
- Conference USA Football 2020: Week 3 C-USA Roundup
- College Football: Odds suggest a bumpy 2020 season
- The Roost Podcast | Ep 51 – 2020 Top 15 Most Important Rice Football players
- Rice Football: 2021 Wide Receiver Peyton Stevenson commits to Owls