Rice Football went out on top, ending their season on a three-game winning streak. Carter and Matthew recap the UTEP win and recap key redshirt players.
It took a few months to get here, but Rice football got rolling at the tail end of the 2019 season. The defense allowed one touchdown and the offense put up 30 points in their final regular season game, a road win over UTEP. Quarterback JoVoni Johnson, a notable redshirt player, was instrumental, scoring his first career touchdowns. More on Johnson, other redshirt players and the UTEP game in this week’s show.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, Give a listen to Episode 20 below.
Episode 20 Notes
- End of season updates — Our next show, Ep. 21, will feature postseason awards and superlatives. Have a player or an award you’ve got in mind? Leave it in the comments or send it our way on social media. While you’re here, please take a moment to fill out our postseason survey and let us know what you thought of the podcast and the site as a whole.
- UTEP Review — When Kai Locksley went down, UTEP’s offense disappeared. Credit belongs to the Rice football defense, though, who did what they were supposed to do against a backup quarterback by holding the Miners scoreless in the second half. Meanwhile the offense generated several explosive plays, led by Aston Walter and freshman wideout Zane Knipe. It was an all-around complete showing and another win.
- Redshirt updates — Only one Rice football player appeared in exactly five games this season. Most appeared in either eight or more or four or fewer. Carter and Matthew work through some key redshirt names and what that means for the program in 2020 and beyond.
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.Join The Roost. React to stories and news in the forum. Stay plugged into the latest happenings in Rice Football with practice notes recruiting updates and more. We are your No. 1 source for Rice Athletics News.
- The Roost Podcast | Ep. 26 – Rice Owls Voice JP Heath and 2010s Mount Rushmore
- Rice Basketball: Owls ready for next step in 2020 and beyond
- Rice Basketball: Robert Martin finds home as Owls’ sixth man
- Rice Basketball: Young talent the backbone for future success