Rice basketball splitting with Old Dominion last time out. This week they’ll square off with UAB while Rice women’s basketball is sidelined.
UAB 10-2 (3-1), Last 5 (3-2)
- 66-69 (L) vs Chattanooga
- 72-60 (W) vs Southern Miss
- 62-58 (W) vs Southern Miss
- 61-37 (W) vs Charlotte
- 55-70 (L) vs Charlotte
UAB statistical leaders
- Scoring | Michael Ertel – 13.2 per game
- Rebounds | Trey Jemison – 7.5 per game
- Assists | Tavin Lovan – 2.7 per game
- Steals | Quan Jackson – 3.3 per game
- Blocks | Trey Jemison – 2.3 per game
Rice 10-4 (4-2), Last 5 (3-2)
- 84-69 (W) vs UTSA
- 89-101 (L) at UTEP
- 71-68 (W) at UTEP
- 69-59 (W) vs Old Dominion
- 58-61 (L) vs Old Dominion
Rice statistical leaders
- Scoring | Quincy Olivari – 15.7 per game
- Rebounds | Max Fiedler – 9.5 per game
- Assists | Max Fiedler – 4.4 per game
- Steals | Travis Evee – 1.4 per game
- Blocks | Max Fiedler – 0.8 per game
Rice keys to victory
UAB will be far and away the best defensive team Rice basketball will have faced yet this season. The Blazers lead Conference USA in scoring defense, allowing 56.4 points per game on a league-best 37.7 percent shooting percentage allowed. Their defense beyond the arc is particularly fierce, allowing 26.8 percent of three point shots compared to the Owls’ 36.8 percent hit rate. Something’s got to give.
For Rice, the notable difference between their distance shooting between last season and this year has been drive by shot selection and efficiency. Both will be harder to come by this weekend, but if the Owls can take the right shots with the right players, they’ll be able to force UAB to play catch up, something they haven’t had to do hardly at all this season.
Rice Women’s Basketball update
The women’s basketball games, originally scheduled for this weekend, were postponed because of a positive COVID-19 test and contact tracing at Rice. This marks the first time since the Owls’ began athletic competition that they have been the initiating party for a postponement. They’ll look to return to action next week against North Texas.