The 2020 Rice Football season has been pushed back. This week’s edition of The Roost Podcast focuses on the impacts of COVID-19 on the sport as a whole.
It seemed like no sooner had we hit stop on the Rice Football Offense and Defense Preview shows than did something change. The Owls lost a projected starter in the secondary to the Transfer Portal this week. Carter and Matthew walked through the impact that will have on the team this season before opening things up for a more far-reaching discussion concerning the state of college football.
Conferences are beginning to draw up plans for a spring season. The Big Ten is fighting through PR disasters and the NCAA is working to clear up eligibility questions for athletes, some of which are scheduled to compete in the next few weeks.
The duo wrapped everything up with a Rice football-inspired game.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, give a listen to Episode 47.
Episode 47 Notes
- Housekeeping — We hit on some takeaways from spring practice in this episode. You can find previous (and future) practice reports and all our recruiting updates on our Premium page, reserved for our Patreon subscribers. Make sure you hit the button and subscribe so you don’t miss what’s happening behind the scenes. As always, thanks to all of you who have followed the show on Twitter and left a review on iTunes. It’s quick, but it makes a difference.
- Rice/COVID-19 Updates
- Starting corner Tyrae Thornton entered the Transfer Portal: How does that impact the Owls and what can Rice expect in the secondary without him?
- SWAC puts out a spring schedule: Big Ten making plans for a possible January start.
- NCAA weighing eligibility ruling: Proposition would allow all athletes an extra year of eligibility regardless of how many games they play in the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Looking ahead at the future of Rice football game
- Carter and Matthew debated the future of the program in a fun game
- The rules were simple: What’s more likely to happen?
|Blaze Alldredge wins C-USA Defensive MVP||Rice has the No. 1 run defense in C-USA|
|Mike Collins has multiple 300yd passing games||Someone other than Juma leads team in rushing TDs|
|Two Rice WRs surpass 1,000 yards||Rice finishes +10 in turnover margin|
|Rice makes the C-USA title game||Rice goes below .500 in Conference play|
|Rice signs the No. 1 recruiting class in C-USA||Rice beats a P5 non-conference opponent|
|Rice wins a conference title in football first||Rice wins a conference title in baseball first|
|Rice finds a multi-year starter at QB||Rice has a player Drafted in Top 3 rounds of NFL Draft|
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.
- Rice Basketball 2021 Game Previews: Owls vs Old Dominion
- Conference USA Football and COVID-19: Postponements abound in 2020
- Rice Women’s Basketball: 2020-2021 Midseason State of the Program
- Rice Football: 10 Takeaways from 2020 season