The 2020 Rice Football season has is still scheduled to be played at some point this fall. In this week’s show, the Roost Podcast breaks down the Owls’ defense.
The Extended Offseason hits the defense in the second half of our Rice football team preview this week. We hit the offense last week, spending 90 minutes on pure football for the first time in months. This time Carter and Matthew talk through the entire defense, focusing on potential breakout players, reasons for concern and what they’re paying attention to on this side of the ball.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, give a listen to Episode 46.
Episode 46 Notes
- Housekeeping — We hit on some takeaways from spring practice in this episode. You can find previous (and future) practice reports and all our recruiting updates on our Premium page, reserved for our Patreon subscribers. Make sure you hit the button and subscribe so you don’t miss what’s happening behind the scenes. As always, thanks to all of you who have followed the show on Twitter and left a review on iTunes. It’s quick, but it makes a difference.
- Rice/COVID-19 Updates — There was a lot to cover this week. Rice football has delayed its season until September 26. One Conference USA member has canceled the season and four conferences have shut things down until the spring, at the earliest.
- Rice football defense preview — Carter and Matthew walk through each position:
- Defensive line: The depth is a question mark, but getting a full season (of some kind) with a healthy front four should make last season’s production the floor. More pressure is a must.
- Linebacker: Blaze Alldredge is a stud. Antonio Montero is great too. This one-two punch is among the best in the conference and the strongest positional starters on the team.
- Safety: Rice has depth, experience and talent at the safety spot. George Nyakwol, Naeem Smith, Treshawn Chamberlain and Prudy Calderon are going to hold things down on the back end again.
- Corner: The corners took big strides last season with their one-on-one coverage. Tre’shon Devones having a full season as the No. 1 with experience opposite him. Tyrae Thronton is one of the elder statesmen of the secondary who made big strides last fall.
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.