Now Former Rice basketball guard Erica Ogwumike joins the show to talk basketball, her career and the suddenness of the global sports shutdown.
Mid-march was meant to mark the end of the Conference USA Tournament. Erica Ogwumike and Rice basketball had aims on defending their conference tournament crown and making a repeat trip to the NCAA Tournament.
Instead, there is no basketball or sports of any kind to watch. The coronavirus put life as we know it permanently on hold. That left Ogwumike free to come on The Roost Podcast and talk through the impact of the shutdown on her, the Owls and her time at Rice.
You can always find previous episodes on the podcast page. For now, Give a listen to Episode 25.
Episode 25 Notes
- Housekeeping — We want your input! This wasn’t mentioned on the podcast, but Rice football spring practice was officially canceled this week. That was the last of the potential sports-related events for the spring leaving the podcast and the site with an open slate for the next few weeks (or months). Do you have something you’d like to hear about or read? Leave it in the comments or shoot us a note on social media.
- Erica Ogwumike — Ogwumike was on the court when the power’s that be canceled the C-USA Tournament and effectively ended her Rice basketball career. We sat down with and discussed:
- Being a college basketball player during the coronavirus cancelations
- The decision to leave Pepperdine and transfer to Rice
- Her favorite non-basketball moment as Rice
- Whether or not she would consider returning if the NCAA grants her an additional year of eligibility. Spoiler alert: the answer isn’t no.
Where can you find us?
Download and subscribe to The Roost Podcast on any of your favorite podcast providers. The show is available on iTunes, GooglePlay, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn and PodBean. Please consider leaving a review wherever you listen.
- Is this Rice Football offense for real? All-American Q&A
- The Roost Podcast | Ep 58 – Rice Football vs MTSU Recap, USM Preview
- Rice Football Film Room 2020: Middle Tennessee Review
- Rice Football 2020 Practice Notes: Post MTSU presser, changes and injuries