With two weeks remaining before the CUSA Baseball Tournament, Southern Miss and FAU are neck and neck at the top of the standings. Can anyone else come close?
Notable weekend results
1. Rice sees surge stopped by sweep (more)
In the midst of their longest winning streak of the year, Rice baseball had swept back to back CUSA series entering their road set with Western Kentucky. Within striking distance of the top teams, Rice fell flat, dropping all three contests to WKU. It’s now the Hilltoppers who hold sole possession of third place in the standings trailing Southern Miss and FAU.
2. FAU comes close to an emphatic sweep of Southern Miss
Southern Miss could have put the race for the No. 1 seed to bed with a series win over FAU. Instead of locking things down, the Eagles find themselves perilously close with the Owls, who took two of three over the weekend. The lone win for Southern Miss came in walk-off fashion, escaping with a ninth-inning single to break a 7-7 tie. The 1-seed is officially a two-team race.
3. Mother nature spoils Marshall/UTSA series
Both Marshall and UTSA are close to the cut line to make the conference tournament. Rough weather over the weekend forced the cancellation of the conclusion of the series, split 1-1. Marshall is 11-12. UTSA is 10-13. Both teams needed the chance at another win, so the lack of a rubber game is a particularly problematic ending from Huntington, WV.
Upcoming series of note
1. FAU at UTSA
FAU wants to make their final push for the No. 1 overall seed. UTSA is looking for enough wins to make the CUSA field. There will be a lot at stake in San Antonio next weekend.
2. Western Kentucky at Louisiana Tech
Sitting at No. 3 and No. 4 in the conference standings the Hilltoppers and Bulldogs can push themselves into a secure position with a series win.
3. Old Dominion and Marshall
This might be an elimination series. The loser will enter the final weekend below .500 in conference play and could need some help to make the CUSA Tournament field.
- Rice Volleyball: Owls ready for 2021 spring season
- Rice Athletics experiences first self-initiated COVID-19 postponement
- Rice Baseball: 2021 schedule dates, opponents announced
- Rice Football Recruiting: Flight School 21 wows as National Signing Day nears