The Rice women’s basketball wraps up the regular season with a two-game set with North Texas. Here’s how the Owls stack up with the Mean Green.
Time: Thursday, Mar. 4 at 7:00 p.m. CT and Saturday, Mar. 6 at 4:00 p.m.
Venue: Thursday – The Super Pit / Saturday – Tudor Fieldhouse
Radio: Stretch Internet Portal
TV: Thursday – CUSAtv / Saturday – CUSAtv
North Texas 12-5 (9-3), Last 5 (4-1)
- 63-58 (W) at Louisiana Tech
- 76-55 (W) vs Southern Miss
- 72-64 (W) vs Southern Miss
- 52-51 (W) vs Marshall
- 56-55 (L) vs Marshall
North Texas statistical leaders
- Scoring | Quincy Noble – 18.0 per game
- Rebounds | Madison Townley – 8.2 per game
- Assists | N’Yah Boyd – 3.6 per game
- Steals | N’Yah Boyd – 1.5 per game
- Blocks | Rochelle Lee – 0.6 per game
Rice 15-2 (11-1), Last 5 (4-1)
- 77-74 (W) vs Western Kentucky
- 54-48 (W) at Marshall
- 56-68 (L) at Marshall
- 73-50 (W) vs Louisiana Tech
- 64-53 (W) vs Louisiana Tech
Rice statistical leaders
- Scoring | Nancy Mulkey – 16.1 per game
- Rebounds | Nancy Mulkey – 8.2 per game
- Assists | Jasmine Smith – 4.1 per game
- Steals | Jasmine Smith and Sydne Wiggins – 1.2 per game
- Blocks | Nancy Mulkey – 2.9 per game
Whats’s at stake
Rice women’s basketball can clinch the best regular season record in Conference USA for the third straight season with a win over North Texas in either scheduled contest this weekend. The Owls were handed some extra breathing room when North Texas lost to Marshall last weekend. As things currently stand, Rice has a two-game lead in the West and can only lose the divisional race by dropping both games this weekend.
A closer look at the Mean Green
North Texas is one of the most well-rounded teams in Conference USA. They aren’t particularly elite in any single phase of the game, but they’re above average to great in just about every aspect. Their efficiency and poise stands out the most. North Texas is second in C-USA in turnover margin. They don’t give the ball away and they create extra opportunities consistently.
Rice is going to have to contain Quincy Noble and force the remainder of the North Texas roster to execute at a high level. On the other side of the court, the Mean Green will work to keep Rice out of a rhythm on offense, something Marshall was able to do to the Owls in their most recent defeat.