Rice women’s basketball is back on a winning streak and has their eyes set on C-USA’s top seed. A win over Louisiana Tech would get them one step closer.
Time: Feb. 29 at 2:00 p.m. CT
Venue: Thomas Assembly Center
LA Tech 13-13 (5-10), Last 5 (3-2)
- 60-50 (W) vs Marshall
- 68-44 (W) at FIU
- 77-75 (L) at FAU
- 63-61 (L) vs Southern Miss
- 62-52 (W) vs FIU
Rice 18-8 (13-2), Last 5 (3-2)
- 77-60 (W) vs MTSU
- 66-59 OT (L) at Old Dominion
- 62-51 (L) at Charlotte
- 69-66 (W) vs North Texas
- 74-65 (W) at UAB
LA Tech statistical leaders
- Scoring | Amber Dixon – 12.0 per game
- Rebounds | Anna Larr Roberson – 5.4 per game
- Assists | Rzizel Guinto – 2.9 per game
- Steals | Amber Dixon – 1.7 per game
- Blocks | Grayson Bright – 0.7 per game
Rice statistical leaders
- Scoring | Erica Ogwumike – 18.9 per game
- Rebounds | Erica Ogwumike – 10.3 per game
- Assists | Jasmine Smith – 3.0 per game
- Steals | Sydne Wiggins – 1.7 per game
- Blocks | Nancy Mulkey – 3.3 per game
Rice keys to victory
Rice women’s basketball used their suffocating defense to overcome Louisiana Tech in the first meeting of these two squads this season. That came back in mid-January. Both teams have come a long way since.
Louisiana Tech has won three-of-five games for the first time in conference play. Rice is recovering from their first C-USA losing streak since 2018, winning their last two games.
The Rice offense has been up and down. The defense has remained firm. Rice maintains the second-best field goal defense in Conference USA. Louisiana Tech is 12th in the same metric. The Owls have learned to rely on their depth more often in recent weeks. Combing their tenacity with a few bright spots from their younger playmakers will keep Rice alive in the conference race.
Old Dominion and Rice sit atop the Conference USA standings with three games remaining in the regular season for both squads. The Monarchs hold the tiebreaker — for now. A rematch on March 7 could decide who claims the No. 1 seed between these two 13-2 teams. The Monarchs have additional games remaining between FAU and UAB.
- Rice Football Recruiting: Flight School 21 wows as National Signing Day nears
- Rice Football 2020: NFL Owls Divisional Round update
- Rice Women’s Basketball 2021: ODU makes Owls work for series sweep
- Rice Basketball 2021: Owls split with ODU, fail to complete Saturday rally