The Conference USA Basketball Tournament is underway at the Star in Frisco, Tx. Here’s how the second day of action played out.
And then there were eight. The quarterfinals have come to a close in Frisco and, for the most part, it’s been nearly all chalk up to this point. We’ll see if anyone can upset the status quo on Friday.
Conference USA Men’s Basketball Tournament
1. Old Dominion def 8. Louisiana Tech, 57-56
5. UAB def 4. UTSA, 85-76
2. Western Kentucky def 10. North Texas, 67-51
3. Southern Miss def 6. Marshall, 82-73
Wrapping up Day 3
It literally took a full 40 minutes for 1-Seed Old Dominion to survive an advance, knocking off 8-Seed Louisiana Tech on a last-second three to pull ahead. The Monarchs haven’t advanced to the finals of the conference tournament as a top four seed yet, despite being the 3-seed in 2015 and 2017 and the 2-seed in 2018. 1-Seed haven’t fared well in this tournament recently, making Thursday’s scare all the more real.
1. Old Dominion vs 5. UAB – 12:30 pm on CBS Sports Network
2. Western Kentuck vs 3. Southern Miss – 3 pm on CBS Sports Network
Conference USA Women’s Basketball Tournament
1. Rice def 9. North Texas, 61-43
4. Western Kentucky def 5. Old Dominion, 74-60
2. UAB def 7. Charlotte, 70-55
3. MTSU def 11. UTEP, 66-44
Wrapping up Day 3
On the heels of a double-overtime game on Wednesday, the women’s bracket produced minimal excitement in the quarterfinals. All four top seed advanced, winning by double-digits.
Rice allowed North Texas to stick around for a half before pulling away late to win by a comfortable margin while MTSU took a 43-21 lead into halftime and never looked back. The action should be much closer when the conference’s best teams meet on the hardwood on Friday.
- The Roost Podcast | Ep 52 – Conference USA Roundup with Eric Henry
- Rice Football: 2021 Wide Receiver MJ Singleton commits to Owls
- From JUCO to Rice Football: Why Blaze Alldredge’s ascent is just beginning
- Rice Football 2020: Owls in the NFL Week 2 Update