The NFL Draft is Jack Fox’s first opportunity to catch on with a pro team. Which destinations are the best fits for Rice Football‘s former punter?
Jack Fox is looking to catch on with an NFL team. Whether that’s through the NFL Draft or as a free agent, Fox is going to be in an NFL camp this summer. Where that camp will be held remains an unknown. Fox has been in contact with roughly a dozen teams since the NFL Combine.
The Los Angeles Chargers current punter is signed on a short-term futures contract, but they aren’t the only team which will be looking earnestly for an answer at the position in this draft class. Painting with an extremely broad brush, here’s a rough approximation of which landing spots would set Fox up for the most success, both in the near term and the future.
Unlikely to be in the market (10 teams)
These 10 teams have secured some of the best punters in the league and have them under contract until at least 2022. All of these contracts were signed in 2017 or later and carry multi-million dollar values. These teams might bring on a free agent punter for some workouts, but the chances of a newcomer supplanting these 10 is less likely than some of other opportunities.
- Los Angeles Rams – Johnny Hekker, under contract until 2023
- New Orleans – Thomas Morstead, 2023
- Tennessee – Brett Kern, 2023
- Tampa Bay – Bradley Pinion, 2023
- Dallas – Chris Jones, 2022
- Carolina – Michael Palardy, 2022
- Seattle – Michael Dickson, 2022
- Green Bay – JK Scott, 2022
- Oakland – Johnny Townsend, 2022
- Jacksonville – Logan Cooke, 2022
The group below is where the realm of possibility starts to grow significantly. This group is largely a tick below the best of the best. NFL teams are always looking to improve at every position, opening the door open to competition. Any punter who is drafted or signs with one these teams is going to have a fair shot to win the job.
- Baltimore – Sam Koch, 2021
- Detroit – Sam Martin, 2021
- Cleveland – Britton Colquitt, 2021
- Washington – Tress Way, 2021
- Kansas City – Dustin Colquitt, 2021
- Atlanta – Matt Bosher, 2021
- Arizona – Andy Lee, 2021
- Indianapolis – Rigoberto Sanchez, 2021
- New England – Ryan Allen, 2021
- Miami – Matt Haack, 2021
- New York Giants – Riley Dixon, 2021
- Philadelphia – Cameron Johnston, 2020
Favorable spots (10)
These 10 teams seem to be in the market for a replacement at the position. Some have been actively looking for their options while others haven’t openly expressed interest but could use an upgrade.
- Pittsburgh – Jordan Berry, 2021
- New York Jets – Lac Edwards, 2021
- Chicago – Pat O’Donnell, 2021
- Houston – Trevor Daniel, 2021
- Denver – Colby Wadman, 2021
- Cincinnati – Kevin Huber, 2021
- San Franciso – Justin Vogel, 2020
- Minnesota – Matt Wile, 2020
- Buffalo – Cory Carter, 202
- Los Angeles Chargers – Ty Long, 2019
- Rice Football Recruiting: Owls ramping up as Early Signing Period nears
- Rice Football Recruiting: Grad transfer OT Jovaun Woolford commits to Owls
- Rice Football 2019: Owls in the NFL Week 14 Update
- Rice Football Recruiting: JUCO QB TJ McMahon commits to Owls